Employment Insurance (EI)

Most employees qualify for government employment insurance (“EI”) that will pay them a salary while they are not working for some reason, including:

  1. regular benefits for people whose employment was terminated without cause;
  2. sickness benefits for people who are unable to work due to illness or injury;
  3. maternity and parental benefits for pregnant women, individuals who have recently had a baby and individuals who have adopted a baby;
  4. compassionate care benefits for people who have to leave work to care for a gravely ill family member.

Sometimes, however, individuals can be denied government employment insurance benefits. For example, you are only entitled to EI regular benefits if you:

  • were employed;
  • lost your job through no fault of your own;
  • have worked for the required number of hours since your last EI claim;
  • are ready, willing and capable of working every weak day; and
  • are actively looking for work.

You may not be entitled for benefits:

  • if you voluntarily left your job without just cause (unless you were constructively dismissed);
  • if you were dismissed for just cause (this is usually easy to disprove unless it was very serious misconduct);
  • if you are unemployed because you on strike.

If Service Canada denies EI benefits, or does something such as ordering that EI benefits received are to be repaid, or sends a warning letter, or imposes a penalty of any kind, you should contact an employment lawyer who specializes in EI disputes. They will handle the appeal for you, at a marginal cost, as these kind of disputes are not complicated and proceed to a hearing very quickly.

If you would like to learn more, please contact us.

Dutton Employment Law is an employment insurance (EI) law firm.

If Service Canada has denied your EI claim or if Service Canada has imposed a penalty on you, contact a Toronto employment insurance (EI) lawyer today.

Employment Insurance (EI) Articles